Hamburg, well known for being Germany's second largest city and one of Europe's largest container ports, played host to the World PM2016 Congress & Exhibition event, 9-13 October 2016. The 'World Series' World PM2016 event, organised and sponsored by the European Powder Metallurgy Association (EPMA) made for a truly international event with participants attending from over 60 countries, including the Far East, Africa and the Americas. The appeal of the World PM2016 event meant that it attracted over 400 Oral and Poster presentations and a strong attendance in excess of 1900 participants.
The event also included a sell-out exhibition with over 200 booths covering companies from all parts of the PM supply chain. Dr. Lionel Aboussouan, EPMA Executive Director said "Hamburg will be well remembered within PM circles for a positive and successful World PM event. We would like to thank all the EPMA supporters who, over the last 5 years, have helped to create a first-rate World PM event in Europe. We would also like to thank our sponsors (BASF, Höganäs AB, Linde AG, Makin Metal Powders UK, Rio Tinto QMP, SACMI Imola SC, Taylor & Francis Group); our Keynote speakers (Oliver Schauerte, VW and Roland Käppner, thyssenKrupp); the Technical Programme Committee; and to Michael Krehl, this year's Congress Chairman".
This year, there were plenary presentations from Europe, the USA and Asia, which will be available in the coming weeks on the World PM2016 website. During the Congress plenary session, the EPMA Distinguished Service Award was presented to Dr. Cesar Molins (AMES) and six special keynote paper awards to those papers selected as having the highest merit were presented to:
- Mr Daniel Schwenck, University of Bremen, Germany,
- Mr Dominik Bauer, Airbus Group Innovations, Germany
- Mr Alexander Angré, Swerea KIMAB, Sweden
- Dr Thomas Ebel, Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Germany
- Dr Jean-Michel Missiaen, Grenoble INP, France
- Mr Yuu Akiyama, Sumitomo Electric Sintered Alloy Ltd, Japan
- Dipl.-Ing. Nadine Eiβmann, Technical University Dresden, Germany
The bi-annual EPMA Theses Competition also featured in the Opening Session with the winning theses from:
- Doctorate category - Dr Elena Bernardo Quejido, ‘Optimization of Liquid Phases for Sintering Low Alloy Steels: Effect on Microstructure and Dimensional Control', Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Masters category - Mr Uriel Tradowsky, ‘Selective Laser Melting of AlSi10Mg: Influence of Post-Processing on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties', Technical University of Berlin and the University of Birmingham.
The EPMA 2016 Powder Metallurgy Component Awards was next to follow, which highlighted the excellence of today's PM industry components. Winners of this year's well respected components award competition ranged from one of the largest 3D printed aerospace elements, by Airbus, through to an innovative planetary carrier assembly in the automotive sector courtesy of Stackpole. The following winners were all awarded the much sought after and prestigious EPMA 2016 PM Component Award:
- Additive Manufacturing category - Airbus Operations GmbH - "Bionic Partition"
- Hot Isostatic Pressing category - Aubert & Duval - "Near Net Shape Hipped Astroloy Casing for High Speed Turbine".
- Metal Injection Moulding category - Schunk Sintermetalltechnik GmbH - "2C-Pin".
- Structural PM Part's category - Stackpole International in collaboration with ZF Friedrichshafen - "Planetary Carrier assembly comprised of Spider and Guide Plate".
For the third successive year the EPMA's Young Engineers Day enabled students from five Universities to attend the World PM event and experience through an intensive 2-day programme in what a career in the PM industry can offer undergraduates. The traditional Gala Dinner on the Tuesday evening saw some 1000 attendees enjoy a cruise along the River Elbe, culminating in a spectacular firework display.
If you attended the event and have not yet entered our feedback survey, you still have time to win one of three remote controlled Ferrari LaFerraris - please visit www.worldpm2016.com/feedback until the 31 October 2016.
Work is underway for next year's Euro PM2017 Congress & Exhibition, to be held in Milan, 1-4 October 2017. For further information on this year's World PM Event or to receive further information on this and other EPMA events please contact the EPMA Secretariat.